Online Safety for Parents/Carers
- Children to be online in a place where you can see. Have some ground rules.
- All tablets, laptops, phones etc. should be left downstairs overnight.
- Be involved with your child’s internet use. Have regular chats about online safety.
- Talk about not sharing personal information (name, address, location, passwords etc.) with anybody.
- Set Parental controls on your home broadband and all internet-enabled devices your child has access to.
- Keep searching safe with safe search engines like swiggle.org and kids-search.com. Activate safe search settings on sites like Google and Youtube.
- Play games offline in airplane mode so children do not make any accidental purchases or connect with someone they don’t know.
- Check online accounts are password protected. Set strong passwords.
- Check age ratings on games, apps, films and social networking sites.
- Talk about being careful about any images being sent and online communication. Is it appropriate?
- Make sure your child knows who to talk to if they are uncomfortable or upset by anything on the internet.
These are websites that have a lot more information on the above.
Report anything you are not happy with to CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre)